Take the Scenic Route

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Dr Uggs

Dr Uggs was part of an aborted send-up the year I was in the capping show. It comprised four separate instalments, so the canning was really a big thing -- in fact, it may have been scrapped after failing to go off the first night. It was loosely based round the [some petrol brand] mystery shopper ads that were going down.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep political ranting to a minimum, but one of the servers is down at work, so I'm off working on some of my old projects that are not stored on that server, including one looking at `Adolescent Risk Taking'. I've long `known' (or at least vaguely recollect an authoritative source saying) that the D.A.R.E. program was ineffective, but I've actually been scouting out the science. The evidence is over- or under-welming depending on your perspective. The shit doesn't work. Most of the studies I've dug up find no effect of the program, and for every study that finds that D.A.R.E. keeps kids off drugs, there's one that suggests that indoctrinated children are more likely to take drugs. It would be funny if there wasn't so much time and money tied up in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home