Take the Scenic Route

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I like to cook...

It's not to say that I'm unhappy with my new place, but I realised how truly small the kitchen was when I discovered that I couldn't get my favoured knife in the sink. This is of course in part that the knife is big. The blade is 260mm plus handle. You and I both know that size isn't everything, but being heavy as well as big, it slides through carrots or just about anything like butter. I can wash it. It just needs to be on the diagon both horizontally and vertically with a moderately full sink.

Thinking of cooking things, I've long ago realised that basmati is superior to Basics for Indian cooking (as is Jasmine for Asian), but a tip from the ODT recently has tipped me over the edge.

In addition to rinsing your rice (soak rice in water, swirl with fingers, empty, repeat, soak again for 30min, empty) and add a few crushed Cardamon pods (so easy with such a large knife), crushed black peppercorns, and a couple of slices of fresh ginger. And Wala! (as the french say), rice as good as an Indian resturant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home