Take the Scenic Route

Monday, April 11, 2005

A Litre A Day...

With the introduction of recycling, the DCC mandated that rubbish would only be collected in their official 40 or 65L bags. I put the rubbish out last night, Monday being our rubbish day. It was only our fourth bag since we moved in, which seems like a good effort. No doubt aided by composting, mulching, and recycling. However, I sat down and did that math, and although a bag a month seems like good going, it works out at almost exactly 1L each per day (129days X 2 people = 260L). I wonder how much of that is meat trays? Probably the single biggest bulkiest thing that's non-recyclable that we go through a few of....
That and other miscellaneous packaging. All in all, I think a good effort, but some improvement would be good. I also think maybe we should buy 40L bags!

2 Comments:

At Mon Apr 11, 07:10:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger Jessie said...

I seem to remember there being a wider range of stuff you can recycle in Dn - in the days before kerb (curb?) side recyclying, I used to put it all in a cardboard box and lug it over to the back of Clubs & Socs. In Wellington the only plastics that are recyclable are 1, 2 and 3.

 
At Tue Apr 12, 10:32:00 AM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

Haha, I remember lugging stuff over to Clubs & Socs (and Mojos before that-- man it smelt bad when it was in there). They recycled a great range of stuff there. Dunedin now only recycles plastics 1 & 2 (although we only really have wine bottles and milk bottles to dispose of!). In fact, I know a certain person (not looking at anyone in particular) used to love the cartons I had in the hall for sorting the different recyclables into. In fairness, some of that bitterness was probably also caused by the pinball machine, potting mix, pots and various other crap that was also choking up the hall....
Goddam, having a basement is good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home