Take the Scenic Route

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Tree Freak

So I was out with the chainsaw, and L* was mulching up the stuff as I was dropping it, and one of the neighbours came over to introduce himself. He's probably seen me having a discreet perv at his '66 Mustang convertible, plus I think he's seen me wondering back with an ice-cream while wearing a lava-lava, and then he sees me with a chainsaw, so he's probably a bit confused about my gender identity.

I remove my hearing protection (male -1) and put down the electric (-1) chainsaw (owned by my mother; -1), very sweaty (+1) but smelling of sunscreen (-1) as well as sawdust (+1). After doing the introductions and firm (+1) handshake, and me complimenting him on the fact that he actually drives his car, rather than polishing it and not driving it (c.f., Ferris Bueller's Day Off), he starts to tell me about the prior owner of my house. He regales me with how much this guy was a tree freak, waving his arms at what I'd consider to be a pretty normal looking area of shrubs. He's a bit interested in the mulcher, although perhaps mostly because he can't understand why I don't hire a skip and just bowl all the trees while I'm at it. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I'm probably a closet tree freak myself. My current tree vandalism is mostly so that I can replace some ones I don't like, with some ones that I do....

4 Comments:

At Sun Feb 27, 02:07:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Jessie said...

Cordyline australis, please?

 
At Sun Feb 27, 02:24:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger limegreen said...

Oh definitely. At the moment there is one cordyline indivisa, which is a weird looking creature, and I have a couple of garden hybrids (red) in pots.... but there will be a few of those to go in. Metrosideras is also high on the agenda -- although I can't work out whether I'm going to have Southern Rata, Pohutakawa, or both...

South Island Kowhai, I have some totara and kahikitea seedlings from my grandfather....

Tree freak indeed.

 
At Mon Feb 28, 10:36:00 AM GMT+13, Blogger limegreen said...

It's not available electronically, thus I'd have to *gasp* go to the library ....

I don't know if you ever found it, but they actually have a whole section of divaricating shrubs in the upper gardens. They don't get so big, so they'll be a second tier of planting I think. I already have some coprosma. Incidentally, the S. Island Kowhai, Sophora Microphylla is divaricating, which is part of what makes it look so cool.

 
At Mon Feb 28, 10:37:00 AM GMT+13, Blogger limegreen said...

You know, it probably is Brandon. That would explain the exceptionally attractive net curtains...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home