Take the Scenic Route

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Brutal

I've spent a fair bit of time attempting to explain the oddities of Dunedin weather to my international student flatmates over the years. Plus, it's occasionally pretty funny to watch the new fresher's discovering why Four Seasons in One Day was a) a New Zealand song and b) the video was filmed in Oamaru.

The weather was bobbing around the low 20s at lunchtime, with quite a warm wind. If you were to ask me, I'd probably label it a nor'wester, and if pressed, suggest that there might be a southerly on the way. It's also more than likely that I would have skulked here or here pretty recently. Fifth form geography also instilled this sort of cyclic nature. So anyway, check out these graphs. At 1:30, it's 21 degrees, sunny, and a bit windy. I saw the front coming (I was home for lunch, but had a ride back to work organised), and it looked pretty impressive. As you can see, in a matter of minutes, the wind had a sudden change of direction, the sky had clouded over, the temperature had dropped, and it was pissing down. Brutal, well brutal was that by 4pm the temperature had hit 5.3 degrees, plus there had been 17.5mm of rain. Five degrees. Mandy she's a bit chilly out there.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

EDIT: Cool weather graphics courtesy of the Department of Physics' Energy Studies program.

2 Comments:

At Thu Mar 10, 09:29:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Jessie said...

Now that's something I don't miss.

 
At Thu Mar 10, 10:13:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Barry said...

Heh - apparently it snowed in central Otago today. SNOWED! It is ten weeks into the year! No wonder I damn near froze this afternoon while helping a friend have her smoke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home