Take the Scenic Route

Friday, July 29, 2005

Finntastic

Whoever said puns were bad. Ahem. Anyway.



The town hall didn't *quite* sell-out, but that's still 2,500 odd punters. Interestingly, had they dropped the price $20, removed the seats (thereby increasing capacity to 3,500), perhaps they would have enticed some more young people along, but come away with the same money. However, I digress.

Those of you who know my musical tastes well will be aware that I'm frequently a little luke-warm on the recorded output of Finn the Younger. Which is not to say that I don't appreciate the abilities of the seemingly less dark and frivolous one. It just seems like somewhere there's a "If we make the mix a little bit blander we'll get more cross-over into pop" demon lurking. It's no surprise then that my most treasured Crowded House output is the live disc that came as an extra in some versions of the best-of. And live, this demon is well and truly put to bed.

Last night was no exception. They rocked hard, with Neil doing some welcome soloing. They had a piano on stage, which they took in turn for playing various numbers.



I'm also a big fan of deviating from the set-list. It makes it seem like somehow they're tailoring the concert to the audience, and that it's not an exact replica of all the other gigs. It would be nice to think that the moment of shirt removal and speaker-stack climbing by Mr Toogood is spontaneous, but my inner cynic is skeptical. And it was extra pleasing that the deviation was then dedicated to Mr Hester.

4 Comments:

At Fri Jul 29, 02:15:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger Jessie said...

Aren't you forgetting something???

 
At Fri Jul 29, 03:00:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

Ummmm no. If I'm thinking what you're thinking, then I should point out that I'm desparately trying to fight off a cold so that I can have surgery next week, and didn't manage to arrive until just after the something had ended...

 
At Sat Jul 30, 01:16:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

Try Whistling This came out in '98. I went to the subsequent tour the night before one of my mid-year exams. I had my 6 pages of condensed study notes to read between acts. It was also Liam's pre-Dupa debut. Dunedin was picked as Neil had had his first support slot for the Enz in Dunedin in '75ish.
I don't think I did so good in that exam, but I don't really care. heh. I guess that would make the ori tour early 2000s somewhere?

 
At Sat Jul 30, 01:25:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

Actually, a certain someone just found a copy of my academic record nestled in behind my degree. It turns out that I didn't do that badly in that paper after all. Incidentally, did you notice that the degrees are watermarked with an image of a goat (!) and the words "Goatskin Parchment Paper"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home