Take the Scenic Route

Thursday, October 27, 2005

D'oh!

Apparently two Australian tourists attempted to use the Sat-Nav in their car to get from Christchurch top Nelson and ended up going through the Rainbow Road. Now I *love* the Rainbow Road. It's a classic bit of New Zealand back-country goodness, originally built for the construction of a High Voltage Transmission line. It's also New Zealand's highest public road, prone to snow, landslips, and for the most part four-wheel-drive track come grave-road. Exactly the kind of place you'd expect me to take a Scenic Detour through. So naturally, I've been through twice, once on mountain bike, and once in a four wheel drive. I would probably take my car through there (although the last time I was there heavy rain had washed out the fords sufficiently that I don't think I'd have the ground clearance), but the other major problem is that there is a locked gate at the far end (and it's a fairly industrial gate on a piece of the road with a bank on one side and a drop to the river on the other, so the chances of getting around it are close to nil).

I still can't quite get over how funny this is. Or how stupid they were not to turn back by St James Station. Or to consider looking at the ubiquitous glovebox map. D'oh.

2 Comments:

At Thu Oct 27, 03:32:00 PM GMT+13, Blogger Jessie said...

I saw that on the news last night - the angle being to lay blame on the rental company for supplying the navigation system, which was set to 'shortest route' and 'avoid public roads'!!

Tourists, huh ;)

 
At Fri Nov 04, 03:27:00 PM GMT+13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

limegreen...amine here from nzmusic...
it's a small digital world after all! was checking out Heather's site and found link to yours...
This sounds like fun...4 wheeling, whoooo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home