Take the Scenic Route

Monday, June 27, 2005

No Picnic

It might not be the most grusome surgery possible, but when I met with the oral surgeon the other day he had three things of interest to say. First, although I was only his second patient of the day, he awarded me the "teeth of the day" award (for which I'm quite chuffed). Secondly, he asked me to reproduce*. Thirdly, I was informed that the two wisdom teeth I have were "no picnic", and that general anaesthesia was really the only option. Apart from the inherent danger, I'm quite happy about this, being the wimp that I am. Not only are they in odd places, they are each snuggled up to two nerves, and have their roots growing out perpendicular in opposite sort of directions, making a(n) (in)convenient sort of T shape.

* My upper wisdom teeth are absent, so it's something he'd like to me to pass on. Incidentally, this led into one of a number of interesting discussions we had. This one was on whether selection processes are still operating in humans.

3 Comments:

At Tue Jun 28, 09:41:00 AM GMT+12, Blogger Jessie said...

Oh dear. Ouch. Best I don't say anything at this point ;)

 
At Tue Jun 28, 11:48:00 AM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

I, uh, hoarded some of the codeine I got for my throat the other weekend. (My throat was *so* sore I actually had cause for prescription meds because ibuprofen+panadol+pharmacy-grade-codeine wasn't cutting it). Incidentally, apparently 200mg of codeine metabolises to about a standard morphine dose.

And as for the general... I think it will be nice to have no sense of the teeth being smashed into small pieces followed by their painstaking removal...

 
At Tue Jun 28, 02:01:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

Never had much joy with panadeine. Paracetamol generally isn't much use to me either. I mostly live for NSAIDs, but all other things being equal, don't find many things that effective for my headaches ... although hydroxyethane is a good option

 

Post a Comment

<< Home