Take the Scenic Route

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Cooperative Gardening

I've been pretty sick of late, and to boost my Vitamin C intake, I've started eating the grapefruit off the tree in the bottom of the garden. Later, I realised that seeing as I was making Lemon & Honey drinks with lemon from a squirty bottle, that it might pay to inspect my lemon tree. So, in due course, I'm now having Lemon & Honey with home-grown lemons.
Recently, a person of my acquaintance was commenting on their unwillingness to buy feijoas, on the basis that, at home, they had an unlimited free supply from a neighbour's tree. This rings true with me. I've never yet stumped up money for rhubarb. $2 for a piddly little bunch doesn't seem worth the hassle.
So today I was down the bottom of the garden, and I've known for a little while that I have two feijoa trees (after I learnt to distinguish them from pohutukawa). So, as I was looking at them, I noticed that it was actually bearing fruit. Not dead ripe, but pretty close. At this point, I decided it was probably about time I gave all my random fruiting plants a good inspection. The one I suspect is a mandarin is bare (although it does appear to have some possibles for next autumn), the grape-vine is bare. The olives, having done pretty well last year, have shed all their immature fruit. But the other bloody feijoa, the bigger one, is also bearing fruit. This somewhat surprised me, as I'd always figured the reason for having two was that one was male and one was female. However, it seems there's some cooperative gardening going down. As I can see a big feijoa two properties over, the male is elsewhere*.

* However, there is some small chance that both my trees are self fertile.

2 Comments:

At Sat May 28, 12:04:00 PM GMT+12, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olives! In Dunedin!

i'm inspired ... all we have is weird moon-plants ala proteas, totally useless. i can't wait to plant food-bearing trees at some point.

 
At Sat May 28, 01:56:00 PM GMT+12, Blogger limegreen said...

I think it depends a little where in the city you are. Happily, my garden is up a north-facing hill, above the frost-line, and quite well sheltered from southerlies and easterlies...

Still, I'm finding the ability to grow exotic-ish things very cool. I might have to see if i can find me ein Riesling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home